Mold in all of its over 100,000 species comes in almost every color, shape, size and consistency imaginable. Stachybotrys Atra (sometimes called Stachybotrys Chartarum) is the scientific name for the black fungus growth that produces spores in the form of slime heads—also known as black mold. While black mold can sometimes grow in natural substances such as soil and organics, it is most commonly found growing in porous cellulose based building materials that have been exposed to moisture as a result of water damage or excessive humidity. Toxic black mold is dangerous and needs to be handled accordingly.
- Remediation is possible
- Black mold does not spread through the air as easily as other mold spores due to the wet environment where it is found
- Black mold is a toxic fungus
- Black mold has a distinct musty, mildew smell
- Black mold is likely to appear in damp spaces
- Black mold is capable of causing health issues
- Black mold is capable of damaging your home
Exposure to black mold can cause symptoms such as:
- Breathing difficulties especially in those with pre-established breathing conditions such as asthma
- Allergic reactions including sneezing, redness and itching eyes, nose and mouth or symptoms typically associated with hay fever
- Headaches, dizziness, queasiness
Always consult your physician when experiencing any symptoms you feel may be related to mold exposure
Please note: This list is not exhaustive and these and other symptoms may be exacerbated in infants, pregnant women, and the elderly or those with a suppressed immune system.
All mold, toxic or not, has the potential to make you sick. Don’t let mold growth compromise your health and safety or the structural integrity of your building.